On Thu, 20 Jul 2017, deoren wrote:

# /etc/rsyslog.conf
input(type="imuxsock" socket="/dev/log" ruleset="local")
input(type="imrelp" port="2514" KeepAlive="on" ruleset="remote")

The rules, both 'local' and 'remote', are pulled in via include files. Am I wrong to believe that rules wrapped within a ruleset only trigger for inputs they're attached to?

things inside a ruleset only trigger when that ruleset is called. This can be either by attaching it to an input, or by calling the ruleset explicitly via the call function.

Does the prifilt function take effect before either ruleset is activated?

no, anything in the ruleset is evaluated only when the ruleset is called.