On November 9, 2017 10:21:04 PM CST, dchappelle via rsyslog
<rsyslog@lists.adiscon.com> wrote:
>Apologies for not including the config. Here is
>/etc/rsyslog.d/10-example.conf:
>
>    dchappelle@L164:/etc/rsyslog.d$ cat 10-example.conf
>    local0.*                           /var/log/test.log
>    & stop
>
>The actual issue here looks to be a permissions issue. The syslog user
>does
>not have permission to create files in /var/log. Here are the
>permissions on
>that directory:
>
>    dchappelle@L164:/etc/rsyslog.d$ ls -l /var | grep log
>    drwxr-xr-x  14 root syslog    4096 Nov  9 19:27 log
>
>As you can see, the log directory belongs to the syslog group however
>the
>permissions for group are set to read/execute. As a result, rsyslogd is
>unable to create new files in the directory but can update/write
>existing
>files that have proper group permissions:

I don't have a fresh/stock 16.04 box in front of me, so I will have to check
tomorrow and respond back again then. If you haven't seen it yet, please take a
look at the notes on this issue (linked from the GitHub issue link I provided
earlier):

https://github.com/rsyslog/rsyslog/issues/1655

0755 is enforced by stock systemd (via tmpfiles.d file), so as you noted the
syslog group is unable to write to the root of /var/log. Attempts to change
permissions manually are lost on boot. The maintainers of the Ubuntu-provided
rsyslog package include a tmpfiles.d override file to grant 0775 permissions to
/var/log at boot.

Did you perform a fresh installation of Ubuntu 16.04 or did you perform an
in-place upgrade from an earlier version?

Do you have a /usr/lib/tmpfiles.d/00rsyslog.conf file on your system?

See this post specifically for my summary of the situation as I found it some
months ago (though I think the whole discussion is still relevant):

https://github.com/rsyslog/rsyslog/issues/1655#issuecomment-314272947

Without confirming with a 16.04 box, it sounds like you are missing the
/usr/lib/tmpfiles.d/00rsyslog.conf file that Ubuntu provided to set 0775 on
/var/log at boot. You can create your own file in /etc/tmpfiles.d/ if your box
is missing the file.