There would normally not be a thread per output. That would only happen if you had async writing turned on (a bad idea for local files)

David Lang

On Mon, 13 Nov 2017, Peter Viskup via rsyslog wrote:

Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2017 11:21:50 +0100
From: Peter Viskup via rsyslog <rsyslog@lists.adiscon.com>
To: rsyslog-users <rsyslog@lists.adiscon.com>
Cc: Peter Viskup <skupko...@gmail.com>
Subject: [rsyslog] List of threads changed between versions 8.15 and 8.23

Just discovered there is difference in list of threads for rsyslog 8.15
(our custom build) and 8.23 (Debian backported). Both systems running
Debian8.

This is the list of threads for version 8.15:
~# pstree -p 957
rsyslogd-net(957)─┬─{in:immark}(1028)
                 ├─{in:impstats}(1029)
                 ├─{in:imtcp}(1031)
                 ├─{in:imtcp}(1034)
                 ├─{in:imtcp}(1035)
                 ├─{in:imtcp}(1036)
                 ├─{in:imtcp}(1037)
                 ├─{in:imudp}(1030)
                 ├─{rs:LOGSTASH2 qu}(1041)
                 ├─{rs:SIEMEP1 queu}(1042)
                 ├─{rs:STRMEP2 queu}(1040)
                 ├─{rs:main Q:Reg}(1032)
                 ├─{rs:net-all.log}(27791)
                 ├─{rs:net-all.log}(27793)
                 ├─{rs:net-err.log}(30819)
                 └─{rs:rsyslog-net.}(27869)

And this is the list of threads for version 8.23:
~ $ pstree -p 11480
rsyslogd(11480)─┬─{in:immark}(11481)
               ├─{in:impstats}(11483)
               ├─{in:imtcp}(11482)
               ├─{in:imtcp}(11484)
               ├─{in:imtcp}(11485)
               ├─{in:imtcp}(11486)
               ├─{in:imtcp}(11487)
               └─{rs:main Q:Reg}(11496)

The latter one is missing the rs: lines for omfile. There are 16
redirections to files, all of them seen in lsof output. Was there any
architectural change causing this difference? Was not able to find such
note in the changelog.

The latter rsyslog is experiencing unexpected hang
<https://github.com/rsyslog/rsyslog/issues/1533> on TLS receiver.

--
Peter