I like mailinglists and IRC but the most important for me is that the questions are answered, be it by employees or the community, and that the aim is to leave no questions unanswered. IM (such as IRC) is not well suited for replies which might take days but rather for quick yes/no questions.

Since the answerers are in minority I'm OK with whatever way they are comfortable with answering questions.

To get fewer questions asked (over and over again) having someone which compiles the most often asked areas/questions and documents them where it's relevant. Since this often requires some sort of access it might be suitable to be done by an employee.

BR,
- Simon