On Thu, 1 Feb 2018, deoren wrote:

Hi,

##########################
Forum support requests
##########################

I'd like to kick start some discussion around ways that we may better
support users seeking help, not those who are reporting bugs (perceived
or genuine). In particular, I have noticed the level of inactivity on
the forums is low; many users who post there do not appear to also
cross-post here on this list for support.

Could notifications of new posts to the forums be sent here to this list
without annoying existing subscribers? If so, would this truly result in
any additional responses to those forum posts than are currently being
provided now?

not as long as replies to the forum e-mails fail.

Should the forums be set to read-only mode and visitors directed elsewhere?

nabble hosts a forum-like view of the rsyslog mailing list. I would love if the forum could be replaced by a view into the mailing list.

Baen (sci-fi book publisher) maintains a forum/mailing list/nntp setup that allows people using all three methods to cross post (bar.baen.com, free registration required)

* Forums are shut down and visitors are directed to Stack
Exchange/Overflow/whatever instead.

It would appear there is already solid participation there for questions
tagged with rsyslog:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/rsyslog

This is interesting, is there a good quickstart guide for getting subject matter experts up to speed to be able to reply there (I remember trying to reply once and being told I wasn't experienced enough or something along those lines)

* An official Twitter presence is setup and followers are encouraged to
retweet rsyslog related questions, guides, etc to their followers.

Would you follow? Would you retweet content from others? Would you
respond to requests that are retweeted?

I would not

* An official Facebook presence is setup

Would you participate?

I would not

* An official (or not) IRC, XMPP, Slack, whatever chat channel is setup

Would you participate? Would this be more useful to you than the mailing
list? Do you feel this could replace the forums?

having to go more places to check for things to respond to is a significant roadblock for me. If there is an e-mail interface so that I can treat it as just another mailing list (or better still integrate it with the existing lists), I would find that ideal

David Lang