Hi all,

I have a number of java services that include support for logging to syslog,
but unfortunately they can only log by sending udp packets to port 514.

This is not in itself a problem, however these services have no stable
predictable behaviour when it comes to hostname handling, and so we have some
logging “localhost”, others logging the shortname, and there is no practical
way for us to fix this.

What I need to do is configure rsyslogd to, when it receives messages from
localhost port 514 (only only this), override the hostname being forwarded and
set that hostname to the FQDN of the rsyslogd machine.

Does rsyslogd have any functionaly to rewrite log entries as they go past?

Given that these messages are forwarded upstream (and therefore the FQDN
matters), I am assuming the template functionality is no going to work for us?

Regards,
Graham
—