From: rsyslog [mailto:rsyslog-boun...@lists.adiscon.com] On Behalf Of deoren
Sent: Monday, February 19, 2018 4:49 PM
To: rsyslog@lists.adiscon.com
Subject: Re: [rsyslog] Forward messages from rsyslog server to JSON
elasticSeach connector

On 2/19/2018 9:29 AM, sophie.loewenthal--- via rsyslog wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does this configuration look ok begore I let this configuration rip in
> production?
>
> A server running rsyslog 8.7.4 on Solaris 11 that receives TCP and UDP
> messages from a mixture of syslog and rsyslog clients .
>   Each client has a %HOST.log created on the server file system.
> The rsyslog server forwards all those incoming messages into an ElasticSearch
> via a JSON template server listening on a remote server on port 10514.
>
> The configuration I wrote successfully receives the UDP and TCP messages on
> the server.
>
> Can anybody see any configuration there that could cause undue processing, or
> errors. So far the testing has gone well.
> I've posted the configuration below.

Others can speak to specifics, but one word of warning regarding
expectations: %HOSTNAME% may sometimes have trash values if the remote sender
doesn't properly format the message (or include reliable information).

We have a vulnerability scanner here that intentionally introduces bogus values
and to override that behavior I've setup a lookup_table to map its source IP to
a known value. Depending on your environment you may need to do something
similar if you need to have reliable values in that field.

Two suggestions:

* If you run into problems it may be worth converting your configuration to use
the current configuration syntax. That format has a lot of challenges that
usually result in rsyslog not working as intended (directive order being just
one)

* Consider upgrading to a current version of rsyslog. I recall you mentioning
on the forums that you've stuck using that version, but there have been a lot
of changes since rsyslog 8.7 was released and you may encounter issues that
have long since been fixed.

I recall you saying that you couldn't reach GitHub, so here is a copy of the
Changelog from the dev's Git server:

http://git.adiscon.com/?p=rsyslog.git;a=blob_plain;f=ChangeLog;hb=HEAD
intended solely for the intended addressees and is confidential.
If you receive this message in error,or are not the intended recipient(s),
please delete it and any copies from your systems and immediately notify
the sender. Any unauthorized view, use that does not comply with its purpose,
dissemination or disclosure, either whole or partial, is prohibited. Since the
internet
cannot guarantee the integrity of this message which may not be reliable, BNP
PARIBAS
(and its subsidiaries) shall not be liable for the message if modified, changed
or falsified.
Do not print this message unless it is necessary, consider the environment.

Ce message et toutes les pieces jointes (ci-apres le "message")
sont etablis a l'intention exclusive de ses destinataires et sont confidentiels.
Si vous recevez ce message par erreur ou s'il ne vous est pas destine,
merci de le detruire ainsi que toute copie de votre systeme et d'en avertir
immediatement l'expediteur. Toute lecture non autorisee, toute utilisation de
ce message qui n'est pas conforme a sa destination, toute diffusion ou toute
publication, totale ou partielle, est interdite. L'Internet ne permettant pas
d'assurer
l'integrite de ce message electronique susceptible d'alteration, BNP Paribas
(et ses filiales) decline(nt) toute responsabilite au titre de ce message dans
l'hypothese
ou il aurait ete modifie, deforme ou falsifie.
N'imprimez ce message que si necessaire, pensez a l'environnement.