On 2/19/2018 10:17 AM, sophie.loewenthal--- via rsyslog wrote:
Thank you Deoren for your thoughts.

Welcome. Hopefully others will chime in with more details.

I've seen some junk hostnames already appear in the logging directory. Thanks
for your explanation. I can create an IP to Hostname table  like IP:HOSTNAME
pairs, but unsure how rsyslog could use this to lookup the incoming IP address.
 Is there a feature in rsyslog for this?

There is, but I forgot that when I mentioned the functionality that the old version you're using may not have support for it (or it may be a buggy version if present).

See my recent responses to the list for a link back to the docs. Hopefully I'm wrong and it is available for your version, but I suspect it isn't.