> Or you could have fixed the logrotate config to use
>
> postrotate
>    systemctl kill -s HUP rsyslog.service
> endscript
>
> That seems like the cleaner solution

That could work too, but in this case I am looking at changing one file to
reverse unwanted behavior vs the potential of having to change many. We have
some custom confs deployed to various servers that may also attempt to
reference either the init.d script directly or use "invoke-rc.d rsyslog rotate"
to send a HUP signal.

e.g., something like this logrotate conf file is doing:

https://github.com/rsyslog/rsyslog-pkg-ubuntu/blob/fcc580659cd409c7eff4b1a19095fa542a77ce3c/rsyslog/xenial/v8-stable/debian/rsyslog.logrotate

Once the upstream packages are adjusted one way or the other, we'll then spend
the time needed to sync all systems to using the expected format.