On 2/27/2018 12:36 AM, David Lang wrote:
On Mon, 26 Feb 2018, deoren wrote:

you are better using mmnormalize, with your example you would have a rule

rule=: %ip:ipv4% - %host:word% [%timestamp:char-to:]%]%-:rest%

this would create $!ip, $!host and $!timestamp (note I did this from memory, I may have a subtle bug here)

I finally looped back around to this and tested the provided rule. I'm not sure how significant it normally is, but the space between the colon and the first % sign seemed to throw off the rule, otherwise with that space removed the provided rule worked well.

correct, my mistake. The rule is very literal, it was looking for a space before the IP address.

Not a problem, thank you for taking the time to provide it.