On 2/13/2018 1:04 PM, deoren wrote:
On 2/13/2018 1:13 AM, Rainer Gerhards wrote:
<rsyslog-users-lists.adiscon....@whyaskwhy.org>:
Setup:

* Ubuntu 16.04
* ppa:adiscon/v8-devel PPA

I was applying patches to an Ubuntu 16.04 test box (which uses the ) and
just happened to spot check the /var/log/rsyslog.log when I saw that error.
When I run a validation check I get the following:

root@sawmill3:/var/log# rsyslogd -N2
rsyslogd: version 8.33.0.b5dfe3dc136b, config validation run (level 2),
master config /etc/rsyslog.conf
rsyslogd: optimizer error: we see a NOP, how come? [v8.33.0.b5dfe3dc136b try
http://www.rsyslog.com/e/2175 ]
rsyslogd: optimizer error: we see a NOP, how come? [v8.33.0.b5dfe3dc136b try
http://www.rsyslog.com/e/2175 ]
rsyslogd: optimizer error: we see a NOP, how come? [v8.33.0.b5dfe3dc136b try
http://www.rsyslog.com/e/2175 ]
rsyslogd: optimizer error: we see a NOP, how come? [v8.33.0.b5dfe3dc136b try
http://www.rsyslog.com/e/2175 ]
rsyslogd: optimizer error: we see a NOP, how come? [v8.33.0.b5dfe3dc136b try
http://www.rsyslog.com/e/2175 ]

This is the first time I've come across this. Is there anything in
particular I should focus on to track down the issue?

That's most probably a bug in the config optimizer. I need a debug
log, and best the complete config, to track this.

Rainer

Acknowledged.

I'll try to submit something in the next few days. Unfortunately the configuration I'm using is fairly large, but I'll try to replicate with a minimal configuration.

As part of refactoring the configuration to eliminate some early cruft I believe I've located all NOP causing items. Some are gone already, others will likely be pruned when I further refactor the configuration.

In all cases I've confirmed thus far, it appears that the NOP messages were related to actual empty else clauses. I had originally planned to keep the else clauses as stub sections for later expansion, but I've realized after further review that it's better to trim now and then worry with adding them back later only when strictly needed (less inactive code, less mental space needed to review it).