On 3/9/2018 1:53 AM, deoren wrote:
On 3/9/2018 1:48 AM, Rainer Gerhards wrote:
<rsyslog-users-lists.adiscon....@whyaskwhy.org>:
On 3/9/2018 1:24 AM, Rainer Gerhards wrote:

<rsyslog-users-lists.adiscon....@whyaskwhy.org>:

On 3/9/2018 1:17 AM, Rainer Gerhards wrote:

I would like to replace the existing forum with something that ties in
the mailing lists (and/or retire the forum entirely if setting
something
up
that can integrate is too much work)

But I'm not the PR guy here.

Let's try to get pragmatic to move this forward: what if we do this:

1) switch forum to read-only
2) mention github as issue tracker (email integration is great)
3) try this e.g. for 3 month

If it works out - great. If not, move on to something else. New users
will probably not even notice that we are trying out different ways.

As I said a while ago, I have some pros and cons with github for
questions, but it may work out.

What do you think?

+1 for giving it a try. Since the incoming volume on the forums is
moderate,
this change shouldn't greatly change the support burden either way.

@deoren: just wanted to say "thanks" again for you driving this
forward. This is one of the things that often got lost in the past
because noone drove it :-)

You're welcome. We all need prodding now and then. ;)

Just one more idea (in spite of your mail yesterday): we could also
say that we *experimentally* "support" StackExchange. Maybe it would
be an interesting experience. But then someone would need to at least
losely monitor it.

That is where the rss2email suggestion came into play. One option is to send
the notifications here to this list (at the risk of annoying those who
regularly keep up with this list), another to create a separate list for
volunteers to subscribe to and yet another option is to utilize some option
within StackExchange to subscribe to updates. The last I checked (it has
been a while), there wasn't an option to subscribe to general email updates. I recall reading a FAQ about it at some point where they explained that the lack of this support was intentional, that providing a "subscribe by email" notification system discouraged users from browsing the site and answering
other user's questions.

I'm not sure I agree with that stance,

</off-topic>
I guess they just do not want to loose advertising money and try to
avoid saying that clearly ;-) It's a valid reasons IMHO, which has
it's pros and cons
</off-topic>

True enough.

but it is how I remember it being at
the time. Perhaps by this point the option to subscribe to specific tags is
natively available.

If not, well, there is rss2email or a similar tool to generate email
notifications ...

IMO its not the right thing to send it to the list. Whoever is
interested in those questions can subscribe. Actually I am for quite a
while.

Ah OK, I'm glad to hear I'm wrong. I'll look into subscribing to questions with that tag. A native subscribe/unsubscribe interface is vastly preferably to rss2email + RSS/Atom feed setup.

 > This also makes me beleive I am very unlikely to ever post
 > there. They focus on long and very exhaustive answers. That's of
 > course good, but not something I have time for. I usually have time
 > for: "have a look here, this may work for you" 3-liners. These are
 > often enough useful, but the SE community seems not to like this.
 > That's the main point of incompatibility between me and SE ;-)

I think providing what help you can is in the end better than nothing. If your SE profile doesn't clearly note that you are the lead developer of rsyslog it may be worth adding it. Perhaps that will make them go easier on you for shorter answers. You need time to code! ;)

A short follow-up to the idea discussed early on about feeding forum post updates into the mailing list (in order to bring attention to those posts):

It appears there is already a mailing list for that. I didn't realize that was the case.

> This is a read-only list whom's purpose is to provide an easy way to get notified if external systems like the forum or github have new rsyslog-related content.

What will happen with this list once the forum is retired? I see mention of "github" in the title. Any thoughts about feeding Stack Overflow tagged messages into that dedicated list?