Let's take a simple approach: try 8.34. If it has a problem, let us
know and I see that can look at it.

IIRC I was refering to this issue and associated fix:
https://www.rsyslog.com/remote-syslog-pri-vulnerability/

given the age, it should probably be available since 8.4.2. But again,
I don't remember that old stuff. Doesn't make sense to look more at
it, it just block me from doing work to move forward. If you need the
old cruft, consider opening a bug report with Ubunutu or purchasing
professional support.

Again, if the issues exists in 8.34 let me know.

Rainer