I have used Rsyslog in the past to run a 66 node array (6 core VMs) to
process 6M log-events / second (avg size 1.5 KB), which boils down to
69 Gbps of log traffic. This was being received over ptcp and
delivered to the backend over omkafka.

Rsyslog and HDFS (of Hadoop) were by-far the most trouble-free
components in this architecture. In addition to data-plane, Rsyslog
did accounting based on custom fields (such as cluster-id or
application-id), reported those stats, performed L7 service defence
(blocking abuse) and helped get data out for escallation to L3 defense
and much more.

We saw everything break at this scale, including Rsyslog, but had to
make very few and relatively tiny changes to Rsyslog (all merged
upstream, btw) to get things going whereas most other components had
to be replaced or large parts of them had to be re-written.

So when it comes to stability and performance, I totally swear by Rsyslog.

When building such large systems one doesn't want to take over
maintainership of components used (which is sometimes the sorry state
things get into when upstream doesn't acknowledge the problems or
doesn't accept fixes for it). We were at 0 locally patched changes on
Rsyslog build, thanks to Rsyslog community which is super responsive
and helpful.

If I ever build such a system again, I would choose Rsyslog for
log-mux with my eyes closed.

--
Regards,
Janmejay