Justin Brodley wrote:
We actually had to disable the attachment feature as we were having our customers attach enormous files and killed our DB processing. Ultimately we are looking into rewriting the attachment feature to store the attachments on the web server to alleviate this overhead from the DB. I understand that the attachment table also stores all updates to a ticket, not just the attachments.

Justin Brodley

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Gregory Harper
Sent: Wednesday, August 01, 2007 12:41 PM
To: rt-users@lists.bestpractical.com
Subject: [rt-users] Attachments table of RT's Mysql database

Hello everybody.

We've been using RT for more than three months as part of our customer concern processes. Overall, things have been going well. The configuration includes Mysql, Apache2 and Postfix running on Ubuntu 6.06. I've made no modifications to the databases. The primary concern at this point is that the Attachments table of the Mysql database is growing significantly. Our CSR's want to attach PDFs, jpegs, etc. to the tickets with the jpegs usually created by our customers. The digital photos are the main culprit. I've read about scaling back the photos, creating thumbnails, etc. and we need to find a way to limit the attachment size prior to attachment.

  Has anyone else using RT had this type of problem?

What are the best approaches for minimizing and controlling the size of the Attachments table?

Any information, feedback and guidance are appreciated.

thanks - Gregory Harper , Stevens Industries

Discover RT's hidden secrets with RT Essentials from O'Reilly Media. Buy a copy at http://rtbook.bestpractical.com

Thanks Justin for the feedback. Anyone else have input regarding their experiences with Attachments and RT?

thanks - Greg