On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 05:41:48PM +0000, Dominic Hargreaves wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 07, 2009 at 09:34:44AM -0500, Kevin Falcone wrote:
>
> > * newer Text::Template which claims to have fixed the T:: cleanup,
> > otherwise
> >  scrips in batch stage may be delayed [sartak]
>
> I note you have declared a dependency on Text::Template 1.45.
>
> Examining the changes between Text::Template 1.44 (which is nearly 6
> years old) and 1.45 (released last year) I can't see a single code
> change. The only things that changes are the documentation, package
> metadata, version numbers, and test suite. There's also no changelog
> entry for 1.45 in the distribution.
>
> What am I missing? Could the dependency be relaxed to some other version
> of Text::Template? I can't see any particularly relevant entry in the
> T::T changelog, but I don't quite understand the above RT changelog
> entry either.
>
> Cheers,
> Dominic.

Hi Dominic,

Text::Template 1.44 had the important bugfix. From its README:

        _scrubpkg, which was responsible for eptying out temporary
        packages after the module had done with them, wasn't always
        working; the result was memory-leaks in long-running
        applications.  This should be fixed now, and there is a test
        in the test suite for it.

When bumping a dependency I generally depend on the latest and greatest
for more bugfixes, documentation, etc.

You're right that in this particular case we could have depended on just
1.44, since 1.45 appears to have only very minor doc and test tweaks. If
you have 1.44 and upgrading a module is difficult, then I suppose you
could get away without upgrading it.

Shawn