Problem is resolved.  I re-dumped the sql for attachments.  then dumped all
other tables separately too.  completed a new "make install" and "make
initialize-database" imported all the other table data and then imported the
attachments.

This has been bothering me a while so is great to be finally resolved, so
can upgrade our production server.