Hi Alex.

Thanks for the response!
Sorry for the brevity - it's always a trade-off: too much information and I
fear no one will want to read it all.  Too little and it's difficult to
understand the full issue!

* * For the Dashboards:
I experienced an issue with 4.2.0 working with editing dashboards.
I could create a new dashboard in IE (Both v. 8 and v. 10) via Home -> New
Dashboard, enter a Name and hit the Create button.
I would switch to the "Content" page to edit the dashboard.  All good so far.
But when I clicked on something in the Available list (e.g. QuickCreate) and
clicked on the "->" button to add it into the dashboard, the page would refresh
and display the "Dashboard Updated" message but that element was not added.
Then you(?) released a single line patch (in share/static/hs/forms.js) and that
fixed IE10 but IE8 still exhibits that same behavior for me.

I was originally reporting that I see this dashboard editing problem in IE8, as
well as the Custom Field thing, thinking they were related but as I dug into
the Custom Field issue, it appears less and less like they are related.

* * For the Select Custom Fields:
Now I'm guessing the custom field thing has to do with jQuery and IE8 in
general.

For giggles, I copied the html/Elements/EditCustomFieldSelect file from RT
3.8.16, just to see if I could find an older RT version that did work with
multi-level/parent/child Select type custom fields.  I didn’t really expect it
to be a fix and I rather expected big failures mixing versions like that.  It
still did not display the correct value for the sub/child custom field.
I tried changing both parent and child select custom fields to Render Type:
Select Box with the same result.
I changed the parent to Render Type: list and that finally worked (e.g. showed
the correct child value) but of course breaks the purpose of the parent child
and selecting something new in the parent list did not narrow down the select
options in the sub/child field.

Many thanks again,
Brent