We've done it like this:

    - install fresh RT version same as the production one
    - import the database from the current production
    - run and update prior to the last version of RT
- once we've tested that everything is fine, started the update procedure in the production RT

There some specific steps that you should follow (for example when you dump your current database don't forget to use --default-character-set=binary) but i'm sure you've read whole documentation already ;)

Happy hunting, and good luck upgrading.