On 8/4/14, 10:12 AM, Kevin Falcone wrote:
Ubuntu generally does a horrid job of importing the excellent debian
packages. For a long time, they were ignoring security releases. The
Debian 4.2 packages are available in testing over there, you may need to
vote for them to come over.
While you can use the deps from 4.0.19 to get some deps for 4.2, you
won't get all of them.
Generall Best Practical installs from source, even on our Ubuntu
machines.

Thanks Kevin. I built + installed RT 4.2.6 from source on Ubuntu 14.04 and, in short: it basically just worked. No reliance on Ubuntu 'request-tracker' package. Good show. I've never experienced a perl-based system to be installed so easily, but maybe I've been jaded from installing things like Bugzilla and others many (many) moons ago. Further, you provide an Apache-independent web server, for (at least) sanity-check testing.

All of this impressive.  Kudos to Best Practical.

Details.

For those interested, here's our (current, immature) Python Fabric code running as root (and therefore auth-limits-bugs probably exist) for installing a sqlite-based RT web server on a relatively-lean Ubuntu 14.04 server--without mysql server, but maybe some other basic things already installed--to get things up-and-going quickly, but NOT in production mode (eg, no database password):

env.apt_yes = 'apt-get -y --force-yes'
env.apt_force_confnew="-o Dpkg::Options::=--force-confnew"
env.debian_frontend_noninteractive="DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive"

def aptget_core(directive,pkgname=""):
    sudo(env.debian_frontend_noninteractive + " " +
         env.apt_yes                        + " " +
         directive                          + " " +
         env.apt_force_confnew              + " " +
         pkgname)

def aptget_install(pkgname):
    aptget_core("install",pkgname)

def install_request_tracker__ubuntu():
    sudo("PERL_MM_USE_DEFAULT=1 cpan App::cpanminus")
    aptget_install("libxml-rss-perl")
    with cd("~"):
run("wget http://download.bestpractical.com/pub/rt/release/rt-4.2.6.tar.gz";)
        run("tar xvzf rt-4.2.6.tar.gz")
    with cd("~/rt-4.2.6"):
        run("./configure --with-db-type=SQLite")
        run("PERL_MM_USE_DEFAULT=1 make fixdeps")
        run("make install")
        run("make initialize-database")

Then run the Apache-independent webserver to sanity check:

# /opt/rt4/sbin/rt-server

None of the above attempts email-systems integration. Do _not_ read this as a full install procedure.
--
RT Training - Boston, September 9-10
http://bestpractical.com/training