It dawned on me that maybe the problem was only with the resolution message
(which is of type comment), so I tried with a simple reply with an attachment,
and it worked.

Was there a change in the way RT 4.2.9 handles comments? We had no problem
previously sending out an email with attachment on resolution of the ticket. We
upgraded from RT 4.2.3 IIRC.

Cris