Hello all,
I finally have RT sending out emails on the company's server, so we're
ready to move forward with testing things and making changes. To that end,
I'm wondering how everyone manages testing changes without affecting the
primary instance, then moving those changes into production?

My first thought is to have a second installation on the same server, maybe
in /etc/request-tracker4_test. The problems are how to deal with the other
places RT installs itself (I use the pre-packaged install) and how to tell
Debian to use that path in the first place.

My next option would be a whole different server, but doing that requires a
way to move items between the two. Besides, it seems more efficient,
somehow, to use one server rather than two.

Either way, I'll have to merge the changes I find work on the test system
back to the real one. Is there a relatively simple way to do this, or do
people just manually repeat the work they did on the test system on the
live one? I'm not talking about source code changes, but, say, a new ticket
type or SLA. Thanks for any thoughts.

--
Alex Hall
Automatic Distributors, IT department