> Hi,
> On 17/10/2016 at 15:53:31 +0200, Mirza Krak wrote :
>> From: Mirza Krak <mirza.k...@hostmobility.com>
>> Add a sanity check to see if chip is present. If we can not communicate
>> with the chip there is no point in registering a RTC device.
> Does it makes sense? If the device is not present, why has it been
> registered in the first place?

It made sense to me, that if you can not communicated with a chip at
probe time for whatever reason (chip fault, bus problem, "not
present") then probe should fail.

Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "present", because obviously we
expect the chip to be there, but I experienced this on a board where
the chip was not mounted and the driver produces a lot of errors
because it registered an RTC device for something that is not there.

Looking around in other rtc drivers, it is common to do a
communication check at probe time and fail probe if the communication
check does not go trough.

Med Vänliga Hälsningar / Best Regards

Mirza Krak
Host Mobility AB