Javvy sez:

> Freakin' awesome, Jeff!
>
> Thanks!

While we're being politically incorrect, there are some that might enjoy
this.  And no doubt there are some who wont.  :)

kurt

'Winning the Cultural War'

Charlton Heston's Speech to the Harvard Law School
Forum February 16, 1999.

I remember my son when he was five, explaining to
his kindergarten class what his father did for a
living.  "My Daddy," he said, "pretends to be people."

There have been quite a few of them. Prophets from
the Old and New Testaments, a couple of Christian
saints, generals of various nationalities and
different centuries, several kings, three American
presidents, a French cardinal and two geniuses,
including Michelangelo. If you want the ceiling
re-painted I'll do my best.

There always seem to be a lot of different fellows
up here.  I'm never sure which one of them gets to
talk.  Right now, I guess I'm the guy.

As I pondered our visit tonight it struck me: If my
Creator gave me the gift to connect you with the
hearts and minds of those great men, then I want to
use that same gift now to re-connect you with your own
sense of liberty of your own freedom of thought ...
your own compass for what is right. Dedicating the
memorial at Gettysburg, Abraham Lincoln said of
America, "We are now engaged in a great Civil War,
testing whether this nation or any nation so
conceived and so dedicated can long endure."

Those words are true again.  I believe that we are
again engaged in a great civil war, a cultural war
that's about to hijack your birthright to think and
say what resides in your heart.  I fear you no longer
trust the pulsing lifeblood of liberty inside you  ...
  the stuff that made this country rise from wilderness
into the miracle that it is.

Let me back up.  About a year ago, I became president
of the National Rifle Association, which protects the
right to keep and bear arms. I ran for office, I was
elected, and now I serve ...  I serve as a moving
target for the media who've called me everything from
"ridiculous" and "duped" to a "brain-injured,  senile,
crazy old man." I know ...  I'm pretty old...  but I
sure as Lord ain't senile.  As I have stood in the
crosshairs of those who target Second Amendment
freedoms, I've realized that firearms are not the
only issue. No, it's much, much bigger than that.

I've come to understand that a cultural war is raging
across our land, in which, with Orwellian fervor,
certain acceptable thoughts and speech are mandated.
For example, I marched for civil rights with Dr. King
in 1963 - long before Hollywood found it fashionable.
But when I told an audience last year that white pride
is just as valid as black pride or red pride or anyone
else's pride, they called me a racist.

I've worked with brilliantly talented homosexuals
all my life. But when I told an audience that gay
rights should extend no further than your rights or my
rights, I was called a homophobe.

I served in World War II against the Axis powers. But
during a speech, when I drew an analogy between
singling out innocent Jews and singling out innocent
gun owners, I was called an anti-Semite.

Everyone I know knows I would never raise a closed
fist against my
country. But when I asked an audience to oppose this
cultural persecution, I was compared to Timothy
McVeigh.

>From Time magazine to friends and colleagues,
they're essentially saying, "Chuck, how dare you speak
your mind.  You are using language not authorized for
public consumption!"  But I am not afraid. If
Americans believed in political correctness, we'd
still be King George's boys - subjects bound to the
British crown.

In his book, "The End of Sanity," Martin Gross writes
that "blatantly irrational behavior is rapidly being
established as the norm in almost every area of human
endeavor.  There seem to be new customs, new rules,
new anti-intellectual theories regularly foisted on us
from every direction. Underneath, the nation is
roiling.  Americans know something without a name is
undermining the nation, turning the mind mushy when it
comes to separating truth from falsehood and right
from
wrong.  And they don't like it."

Let me read a few examples.  At Antioch college in
Ohio, young men seeking intimacy with a coed must get
verbal permission at each step of the process from
kissing to petting to final copulation ...  all
clearly spelled out in a printed college directive.

In New Jersey, despite the death of several patients
nationwide who had been infected by dentists who had
concealed their AIDs --- the state commissioned
announced that health providers who are HIV-positive
need not.....  need not.....  tell their patients that
they are infected.

At William and Mary, students tried to change the
  name of the school team "The Tribe" because it was
supposedly insulting to local Indians, only to learn
that authentic Virginia Chiefs truly like the name.

In San Francisco, city fathers passed an ordinance
protecting the rights of transvestites to cross-dress
on the job, and for transsexuals to have separate
toilet facilities while undergoing sex change surgery.

In New York City, kids who don't speak a word of
Spanish have been placed in bilingual classes to learn
their three R's in Spanish solely because their last
names sound Hispanic.

At the University of Pennsylvania, in a state where
thousands died at Gettysburg opposing slavery, the
president of that college officially set up segregated
dormitory space for black students. Yeah, I know ...
that's out of bounds now.  Dr.  King said "Negroes."
Jimmy Baldwin and most of us on the March sid "black."
But it's a no-no now.

For me, hyphenated identities are awkward ...
particuarly "Native-American." I'm a Native American,
for God's sake.  I also happen to be a blood-initiated
brother of the Miniconjou Sioux. On my wife's side, my
grandson is a thirteenth generation native
American.....with a capital letter on "American."

Finally, just last month ...  David Howard, head of
the Washington D.C. Office of Public Advocate, used
the word "niggardly" while talking to colleagues about
budgetary matters.  Of course, "niggardly" means
stingy or scanty.  But within days Howard was forced
to publicly apologize and resign. As columnist Tony
Snow wrote: "David Howard got fired because some
people in public employ were morons who (a) didn't
know the meaning of niggardly,(b) didn't know how to
use a dictionary to discover the meaning, and (c)
actually demanded that he apologize for their
ignorance."

What does all of this mean?  It means that telling us
hat to think has evolved into telling us what to say ,
so telling us what to do can't be far behind.  Before
you claim to be a champion of free thought, tell me:
Why did political correctness originate on America's
campuses?  And why do you continue to tolerate it?
Why do you, who're supposed to debate ideas, surrender
to their suppression?  Let's be honest.

Who here thinks your professors can say what they
really believe?

It scares me to death, and should scare you too, that
the superstition of political correctness rules the
halls of reason. You are the best and the brightest.
You, here in the fertile cradle of American academia,
here in the castle of learning on the Charles River,
you are the cream.  But I submit that you, and your
counterparts across the land, are the most socially
conformed and politically silenced generation since
Concord Bridge. And as long as you validate that ...
and abide it ...  you are - by your grandfathers'
standards - cowards.

Here's another example.  Right now at more than one
major university, Second Amendment scholars and
researchers are being told to shut up about their
findings or they'll lose their jobs.  Why? Because
their research findings would undermine big-city
mayor's pending lawsuits that seek to extort hundreds
of millions of dollars from firearm manufacturers.  I
don't care what you think about guns.  But if you are
not shocked at that, I am shocked at you.  Who will
guard the raw material of unfettered ideas, if not
you?

Who will defend the core value of academia, if you
supposed soldiers of free thought and expression lay
down your arms and plead, "Don't shoot me." If you
talk about race, it does not make you a racist.  If
you see distinctions between the genders, it does not
make you a sexist. If you think critically about a
denomination, it does not make you anti-religion.  If
you accept but don't celebrate homosexuality, it does
not make you a homophobe.  Don't let America's
universities continue to serve as incubators for this
rampant epidemic of new McCarthyism.

But what can you do?  How can anyone prevail against
such pervasive social subjugation?  The answer's been
here all along.  I learned it 36 years ago, on the
steps of the Lincoln Memorial in Washington D.C.,
standing with Dr. Martin Luther King and two hundred
thousand people. You simply ... disobey.

Peaceably, yes.  Respectfully, of course.
Nonviolently, absolutely. But when told how to think
or what to say or how to behave, we don't. We disobey
social protocol that stifles and stigmatizes personal
freedom.  I learned the awesome power of disobedience
from Dr.  King ... who learned it from Gandhi, and
Thoreau, and Jesus, and every other great man who led
those in the right against those with the might.

Disobedience is in our DNA.  We feel innate kinship
with that disobedient spirit that tossed tea into
Boston Harbor, that sent Thoreau to jail, that refused
to sit in the back of the bus, that protested a war in
Vietnam.  In that same spirit, I am asking you to
disavow cultural correctness with massive
disobedience of rogue authority, social directives and
onerous laws that weaken personal freedom.

But be careful ...  it hurts.  Disobedience demands
that you put yourself at risk.  Dr.  King stood on
lots of balconies.  You must be willing to be
humiliated ...  to endure the modern-day equivalent of
the police dogs at Montgomery and the water cannons
at Selma.  You must be willing to experience
discomfort.  I'm not complaining, but my own decades
of social activism have taken their toll on me.

Let me tell you a story. A few years back I heard
about a rapper named Ice-T who was selling a CD called
"Cop Killer" celebrating ambushing and murdering
police officers. It was being marketed by none other
than Time/Warner, the biggest entertainment
conglomerate in the world.  Police across the country
were outraged. Rightfully so-at least one had been
murdered.  But Time/Warner was stonewalling because
the CD was a cash cow for them, and the media were
tiptoeing around it because the rapper was black. I
heard Time/Warner had a stockholders meeting scheduled
in Beverly Hills. I owned some shares at the time, so
I decided to attend.  What I did there was against the
advice of my family and colleagues.  I asked for the
floor.  To a hushed room of a thousand average
American stockholders, I simply read the full lyrics
of "Cop Killer"- every vicious, vulgar, instructional
word.

"I GOT MY 12 GAUGE SAWED OFF
I GOT MY HEADLIGHTS TURNED OFF
I'M ABOUT TO BUST SOME SHOTS OFF
I'M ABOUT TO DUST SOME COPS OFF..."

It got worse, a lot worse.  I won't read the rest of
it to you.  But trust me, the room was a sea of
shocked, frozen,blanched faces. The Time/Warner
executives squirmed in their chairs and stared at
their shoes.  They hated me for that.  Then I
delivered another volley of sick lyric brimming with
racist filth, where Ice-T fantasizes about sodomizing
two 12-year old nieces of Al and Tipper Gore.

"SHE PUSHED HER BUTT AGAINST MY ...."

Well, I won't do to you here what I did to them.
Let's just say I left the room in echoing silence.
When I read the lyrics to the waiting press corps, one
of them said "We can't print that."

"I know," I replied, "but Time/Warner's selling it."

Two months later, Time/Warner terminated Ice-T's
contract.  I'll never be offered another film by
Warner's, or get a good review from Time magazine. But
disobedience means you must be willing to act, not
just talk.

When a mugger sues his elderly victim for defending
herself ... jam the switchboard of the district
attorney's office.

When your university is pressured to lower standards
until 80% of the students graduate with honors ...
choke the halls of the board of regents.

When an 8-year-old boy pecks a girl's cheek on the
playground and gets hauled into court for sexual
harassment ...  march on that school and block its
doorways.

When someone you elected is seduced by political
power and betrays you...petition them, oust them,
banish them.

When Time magazine's cover portrays millennium nuts
as deranged, crazy Christians holding a cross as it
did last month ... boycott their magazine and the
products it advertises.

So that this nation may long endure, I urge you to
follow in the hallowed footsteps of the great
disobedience's of history that freed exiles, founded
religions, defeated tyrants, and yes, in the hands of
an aroused rabble in arms and a few great men, by
God's grace, built this country.  If Dr. King were
here, I think he would agree.