----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2001 10:41 PM
Subject: Mal's Message: From the Desk of Athletic Director Mal Moore

Dear Crimson Tide fans and supporters,

You have been identified as a loyal supporter of the Alabama Crimson Tide,
and I'd like to begin sharing some thoughts with you periodically in an
effort to keep you better informed on what's going on throughout the Crimson
Tide athletic department.

>From the Desk of Athletic Director Mal Moore

It's a big week for Alabama athletics, and I'd like to share some thoughts
with you on the week's events.

As always, the Iron Bowl should be one of the great games in all of college
football this season.  Regardless of the standings of either team, this is a
game that can only be decided on the field.  While participating in this
game so many times as a player and coach, I learned that players have
historically played this game to the utmost of their potential, and then
some.  The kicking game has been so much of a factor throughout the history
of this game, and great team effort has always made the difference.

This week will be no different.  I expect this game to follow along those
lines and shape up as a fiercely-contested battle between two rivals.  I'm
excited for Coach Franchione and his staff for a big and much-needed win
over Mississippi State last week, and I expect that to really help motivate
and instill confidence in the team this week.

I believe this game, as it always has in the past, will bring out the best
of both teams.  It should be quite a battle.  Without question, a win at
Auburn would be a powerful statement about where this program is headed.

* * *

I regret that I won't be able to attend the game, but the efforts of our
compliance team this Saturday will be crucial to the ongoing development of
this program.  We all recognize the tough situation we are in, and I'd like
to say again how much I truly appreciate the tremendous loyalty and support
you fans have shown during these trying times.  Your ongoing support will
certainly be needed and valued in the years to come.

I'm excited about the date finally arriving for our hearing before the NCAA
Committee on Infractions.  I'm truly proud of the tremendous efforts of our
compliance staff. I anticipate their hard work and dedication to making a
difference in the proceedings.

We will appear before the NCAA enforcement staff and members of the
Committee on Infractions Saturday morning at 8:00 a.m. Eastern time in
Indianapolis. The University will be represented by President Dr. Andrew
Sorensen -- who will offer an opening statement, University counsel Stan
Murphy, Compliance Director Marie Robbins, Rich Hilliard, attorney from Ice
Miller in Indianapolis, and me. University Faculty Representative Gene
Marsh, also will attend, although he will not be allowed to sit through the
hearing because he is a member of the Committee on Infractions.

* * *

Under any other circumstances, Coach Franchione would certainly be a part of
our delegation, but his attention is needed elsewhere.  We will, however,
present a videotaped message from Coach Franchione to the committee on his
philosophy and policies for ensuring NCAA rules compliance in the future.
He will also be available by phone until game time if there is a specific
question for him from NCAA officials.

We will be asked to answer each charge against our football program
individually.  There is no set time for the length of the hearing, but I
expect it to take some time to properly present all of the information.  I
feel good about our response and believe that our team is well-prepared to
answer the charges.  I am eagerly awaiting Saturday and ready to bring some
closure to this difficult time in our program.

* * *

I also want to say how proud I am of Coach Judy Green and her Crimson Tide
Volleyball team.  They've just wrapped up a second straight successful
regular season, posting a 10-5 conference record in the highly-competitive
Southeastern Conference.  They'll be competing for the SEC Championship this
weekend in Knoxville. Coach Green's team opens against LSU on Friday
afternoon.

Also this week, the Tide men's and women's basketball teams begin their
regular seasons.  Coach Gottfried and his team took the court at home
Tuesday night in an impressive win against Mississippi Valley State in the
opening round of the Guardians' Classic, while Coach Rick Moody and the
women's team play here Friday night against Samford.  We're excited about
both seasons getting underway, as these two talented and well-coached squads
represent the University well this season.

* * *

We're making progress with raising funds for our aggressive facilities
initiative.  We certainly recognize the importance that this campaign has in
supporting our coaches and teams in their efforts to build
championship-caliber programs.  I'll be keeping you updated on our progress
through this weekly message and through our premium website,
www.CrimsonTradition.com.  If you haven't signed up for
CrimsonTradition.com, please do so today, as our revenue from the site goes
toward our facilities initiative.

Again, thanks for your support of Crimson Tide athletics.  Without you, our
alumni and fans, all of our efforts would be in vain, and we recognize the
importance of your contributions to this great University.  Please show your
tremendous support for the Tide this weekend.
Next week I'll share some tidbits from our eventful weekend...

Roll Tide!

Mal M. Moore
Director of Athletics