Sent: Sunday, December 07, 2003 6:11 PM
Subject: A First Hand Report

This was sent to me so I'm sharing it with you.

 Subject: First Hand Report

Amazing, first-hand report of the President's visit
 with the troops on Thanksgiving Day.
 Subject: An Email from a Captain in Iraq
 An Email from a Captain in Iraq. We knew there was a
 dinner planned with ambassador Bremer and LTG
 Sanchez.  There were 600 seats available and all the
 units in the division were tasked with filling a few
 tables. Naturally, the 501st MI battalion got our
 table. Soldiers were grumbling about having to sit
 through another dog-and-ponyshow, so we had to pick
 soldiers to attend.  I chose not to go. But, about
 1500 the G2, LTC Devan, came up to me and with a
 smile, asked me to come to dinner with him, to meet
 him in his office at 1600 and bring a camera. I
 didn't really care about getting a picture with
 Sanchez or Bremer, but when the division's senior
 intelligence officer asks you to go, you go. We were
 seated in the chow hall, fully decorated for
 thanksgiving when aaaaallllll kinds of secret
 service guys showed up.  That was my first clue,
 because Bremer's been here before and his personal
 security detachment is not that big. Then BG Dempsey
 got up to speak, and he welcomed ambassador Bremer
 and LTG Sanchez. Bremer thanked us all and pulled
 out a piece of paper as if to give a speech. He
 mentioned that the President had given him this
 thanksgiving speech to give to the troops. He then
 paused and said that the senior man present should
 be the one to give it. He then looked at Sanchez,
 who just smiled.  Bremer then said that we should
 probably get someone more senior to read the speech.
 Then, from behind the camouflage netting, the
 President of the United States came around. The mess
 hall actually erupted with hollering.  Troops
 bounded to their feet with shocked smiles and just
 began cheering  with all their hearts. The building
 actually shook. It was just unreal. I was absolutely
 stunned. Not only for the obvious, but also because
 I was only two tables away from the podium. There he
 stood, less than thirty feet away from me! The
 cheering went on and on and on.  Soldiers were
 hollering, cheering, and a lot of them were crying.
 There was not a dry eye at my table. When he stepped
 up to the cheering, I could clearly see tears
 running down his cheeks. It was the most surreal
 moment I've had in years. Not since my wedding and
 Aaron being born. Here was this man, our President,
 came all the way around the world, spending 17 hours
 on an airplane and landing in the most dangerous
 airport in the world, where a plane was shot out of
 the sky not six days before. Just to spend two hours
 with his troops. Only to get on a plane and spend
 another 17 hours flying back. It was a great moment,
 and I will never forget it. He delivered his speech,
 which we all loved, when he looked right at me and
 held his eyes on me. Then he stepped down and was
 just mobbed by the soldiers. He slowly worked his
 way all the way around the chow hall and shook every
 last hand extended. Every soldier who wanted a photo
 with the President got one. I made my way through
 the line, got dinner, then wolfed it down as he was
 still working the room.  You could tell he was
 really enjoying himself. It wasn't just a photo
 opportunity. This man was actually enjoying himself!
 He worked his way over the course of about 90
 minutes towards my side of the room.  Meanwhile, I
 took the opportunity to shake a few hands. I got a
 picture with Ambassador Bremer, Talabani (acting
 Iraqi president) and Achmed Chalabi (another member
 of the ruling council) and Condaleeza Rice, who was
 there with him.
 I felt like I was drunk. He was getting closer to my
 table so I went back over to my seat. As he passed
 and posed for photos, he looked me in the eye and
 said "How you doin', captain." I smiled and said
 "God bless you, sir." To which he responded "I'm
 proud of what you do, captain." Then moved on.