http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A41721-2003Dec30.html

Spurrier Denies Resignation Reports

By Mark Maske
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, December 30, 2003; 1:22 PM

The Washington Redskins announced the resignation of Coach Steve Spurrier today only
to have Spurrier deny that he had resigned moments later.

"I have not resigned," Spurrier said by cellphone. "I've got a representative looking
into some issues but I have not resigned. If they say that I have, that is not true.
I'm not sure it is heading in that direction right now. We are seeing where it goes
but I have not resigned."

A team source said that Spurrier's new agent, Jimmy Sexton, told the Redskins to issue
the news release.

In a news release issued early this afternoon, the Redskins said Spurrier had
telephoned owner Daniel Snyder and resigned "in the best interest of the Redskins
franchise." In the release, Snyder said "I have accepted Steve's resignation with much
regret but respect his decision."

The Redskins said in the release that they will begin their search for Spurrier's
replacement immediately.

kurt