Arkansas Coach Nutt Turns Down Nebraska

By DOUGLAS PILS
AP Sports Writer
January 03, 2004

Houston Nutt rejected Nebraska's $2 million coaching offer, saying strong family ties
and a job left undone kept him at Arkansas.

"I could not take my family, myself, and get on that plane," Nutt said at a news
conference Saturday. "My heart was here." Nebraska offered Nutt the job Friday, but
Arkansas made a counteroffer.

"They're going to take care of me. There are some things still being worked out," Nutt
said.

Nutt said he was flattered at Nebraska's offer, but that it was best for him to remain
in his home state.

"For six long years we've poured our heart into this program and we feel that our work
isn't finished," Nutt said.

Nebraska fired coach Frank Solich in November after a 9-3 regular season. At Arkansas,
Nutt has won nine games in the regular season twice, in 1998 and 2002.