This story was printed from www.cw.ua.edu.
Site URL: http://www.cw.ua.edu.

Student section to expand by 872
By Caitlin Tudzin
Senior Staff Reporter
February 12, 2004

In an effort to keep up with the growing student population, UA officials have added
872 seats to the student section at Bryant-Denny Stadium.

The current number of seats offered to students is 11,287, which was the amount
designated for the section in 1998. The entire south end zone will now be reserved for
students.

Athletics director Mal Moore said requests from students who were unable to get
tickets, as well as the projected increase in student population, led the athletics
department to designate more student seating.

"We anticipate 1,000 to 1,500 more students next year," he said. "That and the demand
of students already here led us to decide we wanted more students to have the
opportunity to get tickets."

Moore said he does not believe ticket prices will go up from $5 at this time, though
it is a possibility that it could happen someday.

He said the 872 seats will be student-designated until the stadium is expanded in a
couple of years, a move Moore predicts will add about 7,000 to 10,000 seats.

"I'm pleased and thrilled the student body is growing and pleased that we get great
support from our students because that's so important," he said.

SGA President Katie Boyd said several students came to her to voice their concerns
about the effect a growing population would have on football ticket availability. Boyd
said since the stadium already seems crowded in the student section, it only made
sense to increase the amount of space designated for students.

"There are 20,333 students on campus, and many times we have students' guests," she
said. "It's always packed and after Aug. 1, some students even get turned away from
buying tickets."

Boyd said as long as the demand remains for these seats, they will continue to be
blocked off for students. She said the placement of the new student section is great
because it places fans closer to the game.

"I think the neatest thing is that it's the front section across the end zone, right
where the football players run out," she said.

Boyd said Moore and Rhoda Vaughn, director of the athletics ticket office, were both
helpful in reaching student demands and putting into place a plan for the new seating
arrangement. Boyd said the next step is to make sure seating increases as enrollment
increases.

"Now we will work on getting a plan in place so that in the future the number of seats
available to students will grow with attendance," she said.

Bryan Grimes, a sophomore finance major, said he thinks it is great the University is
making more room for students, since the section is already cramped.

"It will be a good thing that there's more seats and tickets, because it will get more
people out to the games," he said. "I knew people who couldn't get student tickets
last year, and tickets in other sections are too expensive."

Emily Burgio, a sophomore nursing major, said she agrees the addition is definitely a
good thing for students.

"Games are so crowded, you have to get there two to three hours before it starts to
even be able to see something," she said. "Right now, the student section is
definitely too crowded."

Burgio said she thinks the amount of seats sounds good right now, but she added that
taking too many seats away from other sections will take away seats from sections with
pricier tickets, resulting in less money for the University.