http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/base/sports/1082634449272350.xml

Marsh, Robbins dropped from lawsuit

04/22/04

MIKE PERRIN
News staff writer

University of Alabama officials Gene Marsh and Marie Robbins have been dismissed from
the Ronnie Cottrell-Ivy Williams lawsuit, according to papers filed in Tuscaloosa
Circuit Court on Wednesday.

"Several weeks ago, (Cottrell attorney) Delaine Mountain and I met with our clients
and their wives and had an all-day meeting with Gene Marsh and Marie Robbins and their
attorney, Tommy Keene," attorney Thomas Gallion said. "The meeting started off pretty
poorly, but at the end of the day we reached a tentative agreement, after hearing
their side of the story.

"Although there are things they wish they had not done, the overall statements they
made were that they were duped and things were misrepresented to them by Mr.
(defendant/NCAA investigator Richard) Johanningmeier.

"After hearing their story, I feel like - although there are some things I would not
have done - we're all human and they should not remain in this lawsuit. They did tell
the truth and they will tell more of the truth."

Marsh and Robbins would not comment on the lawsuit. However, Keene said, "My reaction
is I think it's wonderful that my clients have been dismissed and that the plaintiffs
realized they did nothing wrong. I believe they were deservedly dismissed."

In an affidavit accompanying the motion to dismiss, Marsh said that he, as faculty
athletics representative, and Robbins, as a compliance officer, were concerned with
Cottrell's actions as an assistant coach because he had four secondary violations.
"While no one secondary violation is a problem, multiple secondary violations can be
interpreted by the NCAA as one major violation. A major violation for a repeat
offender can be a devastating event."

Marsh also said Johanningmeier never informed the university that Tennessee head
football coach Phillip Fulmer was involved in the investigation of the Alabama
football program.

"Based on this subsequent information, it appears to me that the NCAA had knowledge
about questions concerning Albert Means' recruitment and Harold James' recruitment
while these two young student athletes were still in high school, yet never shared
that knowledge with the University of Alabama," the affidavit says. "Had the NCAA
given this information to the University of Alabama, we could have taken appropriate
action to prevent any improprieties on the part of the University of Alabama or its
boosters and would have prevented their being admitted to school and competing on our
football team.

"Similarly, we were never given any information by the SEC office or SEC Commissioner
Roy Kramer about questions concerning the recruitment of Albert Means."