Canadians turn to UA softball coach for help

By Tommy Deas
Sports Writer
August 06, 2004

When the Canadian national softball team needed help, it turned to Patrick
Murphy.

The Canadians finished last at the 2000 Olympics in Sydney, Australia, then
needed two chances to qualify for the Summer Games in Athens, Greece.

First, they had a poor showing at the World Championships in 2001 and failed
to qualify.

In 2002, Canadian head coach Mike Renney called Murphy, the University of
Alabama's softball coach, to see if he would lend his expertise.

"He asked if I could help a little with their hitting," Murphy said.

The Canadian team spent the 2002 Thanksgiving weekend taking hitting
instruction from Murphy in Tuscaloosa, and applied those lessons at a
qualifying tournament in Puerto Rico. Canada went 10-0 to earn a bid to this
summer's Olympic competition, and Murphy was invited to join the team's
coaching staff.

"It's going to be exciting for everybody," Murphy said. "I'll probably be
like the tourist fool with the camera around my neck, asking for
autographs."

Murphy made the official watch list as a candidate for the U.S. Olympic
coaching staff, but wasn't selected. When Canada called, he gladly accepted.
He doesn't feel like a traitor for signing up to coach for another country.

"I was a finalist for the USA," he said. "They didn't pick me. This is a
once-in-a-lifetime opportunity."

Canada prepped for the Summer Games by winning the Prague Cup in
Czechoslovakia, which concluded last week. The Canadians are still
underdogs, but look far better than the team that finished last at the
Olympics four years ago.

Murphy isn't concerned that his affiliation with the Canadians might cost
him a chance to coach the U.S. team in the future.

"If that's the case, so be it," he said. "I don't think they're worried
about Canada."

Working with the Canadian team has kept Murphy away most of the summer. He
left assistants Alyson Habetz and Vann Stuedeman in charge of the Alabama
program, and has stayed in touch by telephone.

"The first thing I had to think about was my team and what am I going to do
with the [UA] program while I'm gone," he said. "Vann and Aly have done a
great job."

Murphy has coached against the U.S. in exhibition competition while at
Alabama. Kelly Kretschman, a former UA player, is one of the top hitters on
the defending gold medalist U.S. team. Being in the other dugout coaching
against his country isn't a big deal, he said.

"To me, it's not like Canada vs. the U.S.," he said. "It's more like Alabama
against another college team. I know so many of them on the U.S. team from
college."

With a former teammate playing for the U.S. and their own head coach on the
Canadian staff, Alabama softball players have two teams to cheer for this
summer. When those teams meet, their loyalties won't be divided.

"I have to be for my country," said former UA first baseman Jackie McClain.
"I hope Canada wins the silver."

Murphy and Kretschman won't be the Alabama softball program's only ties to
the Summer Games. Former Crimson Tide manager Katie Morgan is an assistant
producer at NBC who will help coordinate the network's coverage of the
sport.

Alabama's coach attended the softball competition at the 1996 Summer Games,
which was held in Columbus, Ga. This will be different.

"I sat in the stands," Murphy said. "This is going to be incredible.

"We're staying in the Olympic Village. Canada has its own apartment
building, I guess you'd call it. They have food service 24 hours a day,
movies, bands, a post office, everything. I can't wait."