Alabama attorney Thomas Gallion said he forwarded a possible violation involving
Tennessee receiver Jayson Swain to the NCAA, but no action was taken.
According to Gallion, a former Huntsville Grissom High School administrator has gone
on record challenging the legitimacy of Swain's standardized test score.
"I don't have anything against the University of Tennessee," Gallion said. "I'm merely
pointing out the hypocrisy of the system.''
Gallion is representing former Alabama football assistants Ivy Williams and Ronnie
Cottrell in a lawsuit against the NCAA. Among Gallion's claims is that Tennessee
received favorable treatment from the NCAA in compliance cases in exchange for
information leading to violations against Alabama.
UT athletic director Mike Hamilton said he wasn't aware Swain's ACT score had been
challenged until last week.
"It's the first I've heard of it,'' Hamilton said. "But now that I'm aware of it, I
can assure you we'll follow up on it diligently.''
Swain, a sophomore from Huntsville, said he had heard about the charge that someone
else took his test for him from people back in his home state.
"Yeah, I heard all of that,'' Swain said. "They're still mad I left the state. We can
dig up all of the archives. We'll get my ACT score out, and I'll even show them the
ACT prep program I studied on CD-ROM. I studied that every day.''
Swain said the various attacks and charges being made against Tennessee have only
served to bring the team closer together. The accusations about his test score are no
different in that respect, he said. "That's not a smart thing for them to do,'' Swain
said. "We already feel we don't get enough respect.''
Swain said that contrary to the report, he played in a high school game on a Friday
night and traveled to Atlanta and took the test.
"We won an easy game Friday night, and I pretty much left for Atlanta right after
that,'' Swain said. "I didn't even sleep. They can come here, and we can talk about
it.''

Copyright 2004, KnoxNews. All Rights Reserved.