Bama lands 'The Deuce'
Nick Saban's decision on Saturday night to accept the
Miami Dolphins head coaching position opened the door
for the Crimson Tide staff to get a late Christmas
present.

"I'm going to Bama," star safety/linebacker Chris Keys
of North Jackson said just minutes after Saban announced
that he was taking the Miami position. "I don't know
that I would've switched to Alabama had Coach Saban
stayed a LSU, but now that he's gone I'm going to Bama."

Last summer Keys made an early commitment to Saban's LSU
Tigers. But after being dismissed from his high school
in Port Barre, LA before his senior year, Keys
transferred to North Jackson where he has lived the past
six months with the family of Ali Sharrief, a running
back who recently switched his commitment from Auburn to
Alabama. Unfortunately, before the season Keys was ruled
ineligible to play his senior year at North Jackson by
the Alabama HS Athletic Association. In spite of that
ruling, the 6-2, 212-pound Keys remained in school at
North Jackson.

"At first I had every intention of signing with LSU
because Coach Saban had stuck with me through my
problems I had here [in Louisiana]," said Keys, who is
at home in Port Barre with his family for the holidays.
"But during the season I went to some Alabama games and
I couldn't believe it. The coaching staff was great. The
facilities were great. And the atmosphere at the games
was just awesome. I mean, awesome. I was like, 'Wow, I
really like Bama a lot.'

"So when these rumors started about Coach Saban leaving,
I just told my family that if he left that I was going
to Bama. My family felt that since Coach Saban had stuck
with me that I should stick to my commitment. But when I
came home for the holidays, I told my mom and everybody
how much I liked Alabama. They told me to do what was in
my heart. So when Coach Saban announced tonight that
he's leaving, I de-committed from LSU and I'm now
committed to Alabama."

Keys credited Tide assistant coach Chris Ball as
instrumental in building his interest in Alabama.

"Coach Ball is a great coach and a great guy," Keys
said. "He's one of those guys that you can go to and
talk about life. You can tell him what's on your mind
and ask for his advice. He's also a great coach. He's
stays on you, but he gives you respect."

In Keys, Alabama is getting one of the nation's top
prospects. Some services rate him among the country's
top 25 prospects regardless of position. Given that he's
already 6-2, 212 pounds and that he'll probably get
bigger, some project him as a linebacker in college.

"Alabama recruited me as a free safety and that's the
position I want to play," Keys said. "I've been a safety
since I played pee-wee ball and I just love playing the
position. I love hitting people."

At the time TI spoke with Keys tonight, the Tide staff
was not aware of their late Christmas day gift.

"I've tried calling Coach Ball and Coach Shula on their
cell phones, but all I get is their voice mail," Keys
said. "I know they're getting ready for the bowl and
stuff. I've left them messages to call me as soon as
they get my message. I just want to let them know that
I've decided to commit to Alabama."

Keys said that he'll wear number 2 at Alabama.

"That's always been my number and Alabama has told me
that it's open for me," he said. "It's my grandfather's
my favorite number. Plus, my nickname is 'The Deuce'."

Is Nick Kyles next?
On Saturday afternoon star receiver Nick Kyles of
Baldwin-Milledgeville, GA said that he was on the verge
of making his announcement.

After his official visit to Alabama two weeks ago, the
6-2½, 190-pound Kyles was ready to commit to the Tide.
But coaches from Georgia and Auburn asked him to hold
off until after he took official visits to their schools
in January. But Kyles said earlier today that he might
go ahead and make his decision.

"As of now, I'm thinking about committing this coming
Tuesday afternoon," Kyles said. "Alabama is definitely
my favorite."

Over the past two seasons Kyles caught over 100 passes
for more than 2,000 yards.