MADISON, Wis. - Hunter Mark Smith welcomes wild birds on
to his property, but if he sees a cat, he thinks the
"invasive'' animal should be considered fair game.
The 48-year-old firefighter from La Crosse has proposed
that hunters in Wisconsin make free-roaming domestic
cats an "unprotected species'' that could be shot at
will by anyone with a small-game license.

His proposal will be placed before hunters on April 11
at the Wisconsin Conservation Congress spring hearings
in each of the state's 72 counties.

"I get up in the morning and if there's new snow,
there's cat tracks under my bird feeder ... I look at
them as an invasive species, plain and simple,'' Smith
said.

Smith's proposal has horrified cat lovers, but is seen
by others as a way to stop cats from killing wild birds.

University of Wisconsin-Madison wildlife ecology
professor Stanley Temple, who trapped more than 100 cats
and analyzed their stomach contents during a four-year
study, has estimated that between 7.8 million and 219
million birds are killed by rural cats in Wisconsin each
year.

"It's obviously a very controversial proposal,'' Temple
said, but added, "I think there really is a basis for
having a debate about it.''

The Conservation Congress is a five-member elected body
whose duty is to advise the Department of Natural
Resources and the Legislature on natural resources
issues.

DNR attorney Tim Andryk said the vote would simply be
"an advisory recommendation'' to state lawmakers.

"We (the DNR) don't have authority to regulate domestic
animals. Legislation would have to be passed to
accomplish this,'' Andryk said. "You might also have to
amend laws relating to abuse of domestic animals.''

But Temple said he thinks legislation is not needed. He
said the department does have the authority to declare
rural cats an unprotected species - because unclaimed
cats can be considered non-native wildlife species like
house mice, Norway rats, pigeons and starlings.

"If they are not a pet, if somebody doesn't claim
ownership, they become a non-native wildlife species and
not entitled to protection by the state,'' he said.

Cat enthusiasts Cheryl Balazs, Ted O'Donnell and Adam
Bauknecht are trying to organize opposition to Smith's
proposal. O'Donnell, a co-owner of MadCat Pet Supplies,
recently set up a Web site, dontshootthecat.com, to
inform people about it.

O'Donnell said Smith's proposal "is a callous response''
to the problem of cats preying on wild birds.

"There's more humane solutions,'' he said. "We as
citizens should step up and solve the problem
humanely.''

Sheri Carr, senior humane officer at the Dane County
Humane Society, said the group has not yet taken a
position on the proposal, but wants cat owners to abide
by their local ordinances and not let their animals
roam.

"I would hate to think that tame, owned cats who happen
to slip out would be at risk of being deemed a wild,
unprotected species,'' Carr said. "It's a delicate
(ecological) balance out there, but does that mean
people should be able to shoot their neighbor's cat?
Probably not.''

---

Information from: Wisconsin State Journal,
http://www.wisconsinstatejournal.com