If Attalla-Etowah star Randy Dupree lives up to his
nickname, he'll be a great college running back.

"Around here the fans call me 'The next Carnell'," says
Dupree, referring to former Etowah and Auburn star
running back Carnell Williams. "I don't know about that,
because Carnell was a great running back. But,
hopefully, someday my name will be that special around
here."

Dupree is already pretty special to Etowah. As a junior,
the 6-0, 200-pounder rushed for 1,500 yards and scored
15 touchdowns.

"I'm a power runner," Dupree says. "If the outside is
open, I'll take it. But I'd just as soon run between the
tackles. I guess you could kind of compare me to Kenneth
Darby a little bit."

Dupree is already attracting attention from several
schools, including Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee,
Mississippi State and Southern Miss.

Two weeks ago at Alabama's A-Day game, Dupree spoke with
Bama's coaching staff about the possibility of playing
for the Crimson Tide.

"I spoke with Coach [Dave] Ungerer, Coach [Randy] Ross,
and with Coach Shula," Dupree says. "They haven't
offered me anything in writing, but I guess you could
say they offered me verbally.

"They said that they've watched my tape and that they
really liked what they saw. They said that I could play
at Alabama. They said they need some running backs and
that I'd be good for them."

Dupree says that he grew up a lifelong Alabama fan. But
so did that other famous running back from Etowah.

"I talked to Carnell about it, and he said he was a big
Alabama fan but that Auburn just felt like the right
place for him," Dupree says. "I'm an Alabama fan, but
I'm going to keep everything open. I want to see how the
running backs at Alabama and Auburn perform this season
and then see which school is right for me."

Dupree comments on his favorites
Alabama
"I like the way they spread their offense out. They run
a lot of draw plays, which I like. They pass to open up
the run. I also like Coach Shula. I noticed when I
talked to him that he puts education first. That means a
lot to me."

Auburn
"I've known Carnell [Williams] a long time. His mother
is my neighbor, and they've told me all about Auburn. I
even went down there [to Auburn] a few times with
Carnell. I was down there last week on a visit and
really liked it. Even though I'm an offensive player,
I'm a firm believe that defense wins championships, and
Coach Tuberville is a defensive coach. I like that."

Mississippi State
"Their running backs coach, Freddie Kitchens, is another
former Etowah player. He's going to be recruiting me.
He's already told me all about Coach Croom and about
their offense. Plus, I know that Freddie would treat me
well."

Southern Mississippi
"Believe it or not, Derrick Nix is coaching there now
and he's also a former Etowah player. Derrick was a
running back, and he's already told their running backs
coach that I'm the man for them. His dad comes to all of
our games and he tells Derrick all about us."

Note: Dupree says that he's been timed at 4.4 in the 40.