CECIL HURT: Witt proposes new contract, raise for Moore

June 19, 2005

Among the many discussion topics that can prompt debate
in the University of Alabama's fan base, the tenure of
Mal Moore as the Crimson Tide's director of athletics
ranks near the top of the list.

There is universal agreement that Moore, who became the
director of athletics at UA in November 1999, has faced
challenges that no other Alabama athletics director has
ever faced, from whirlwind football coaching transitions
to a harrowing NCAA probation to a massive upgrade of
the bricks-and-mortar of the UA facilities. The
unanimity breaks down, though, when different factions
evaluate Moore's success rate at handling those
challenges. His staunchest supporters think that no
other person could have navigated the rough waters; his
most fervent detractors think that he could have steered
clear of the troubles, had he followed a different
course.

But no matter how many parties enter the debate, they
can all be drowned out by a single voice. And that voice
has spoken.

University of Alabama President Robert Witt has
recommended to the University's Board of Trustees that
Moore be given a five-year contract extension and a
raise, a recommendation that the board accepted when it
met in Tuscaloosa earlier this week. Moore has yet to
sign the extension, but that seems to be a mere
formality. When it is signed, Moore's contract, which
was to expire at the end of this month, will extend to
June of 2010.

Witt said Saturday morning that the lengthy extension
was his idea.

"I was actually the one who recommended it," he said.

"I have the utmost respect for the job that Mal Moore
has done. His work with the Crimson Tradition fund has
been extraordinary. The initial goal of Crimson
Tradition was to raise $50 million and that goal has
been met and exceeded.

"He has provided steady leadership through a very
difficult period, particularly in the transition from
Coach [Dennis] Franchione to Coach [Mike] Price to Coach
[Mike] Shula.

"The academic performance of our athletes in that times
has been, in my opinion, exemplary. He has focused very
intently on strengthening Jon Dever's academic support
group. You can look at other campuses around the country
and you will frequently see stories about academic
difficulties that we have not had here.

"When you look at the performance of our teams from
basketball to baseball to gymnastics to softball, it has
been excellent. And I believe he has served as a very
effective mentor to Mike Shula.

"When I added everything up -- Mal's performance, his
dedication to the University and his love for the
University -- I wanted to be sure he would be here for
the foreseeable future."

Moore, reached just before he departed for a cruise with
Crimson Tide coaches and fans on Saturday, said that he
was "flattered and appreciative."

"President Witt called me yesterday to tell me it had
been approved," Moore said. "We had actually first
talked about it six or eight months ago, when he brought
it up to me. All I can say now is that I'll do my best
to keep things moving in the right direction."

For the most part, Witt, who became president of UA in
March 2003, has allowed Moore to run the athletic
department in his own way. When Witt has had to make
decisions, they have been firm, and in the two most
important instances, correct. The first was his decision
to fire Price. The second has been his decision to find
grounds for productive existence within the NCAA, even
when some boosters have urged a more belligerent,
perhaps even litigious, approach.

There are many possible ways to interpret Witt's strong
stand in support of Moore. Some will see it as an
endorsement of the status quo. Others might see it as
empowering Moore to make changes in the athletics
department beyond the renovation of the Tide's
facilities. It will at least serve to deflect rumors
that Moore's departure or retirement is imminent.

One ting is certain, though. Dr. Robert Witt has made
clear that his vision for "the foreseeable future" of UA
athletics will be implemented by Mal Moore.

Cecil Hurt is sports editor of The Tuscaloosa News.
Reach him at [EMAIL PROTECTED] or at (205)
722-0225.