Sent: Sunday, August 07, 2005 5:51 PM
Subject: Re: [RollTideFan] Ban stuns Seminoles

Rusty wrote:

when does Notre Dumb have to stop being the fighting irish? Talk about a stereotype...surely they meet the "hostile and abusive" standard set by the ncaa.

RS

Executive Committee Chairman Walter Harrison, however, already has set the
NCAA's sights on details as small as the spear on a Seminoles helmet.

"An institution may adopt whatever mascots it wishes; that's an
institutional matter that involves their integrity and autonomy as an
institution," said Harrison, president of the University of Hartford, on a
conference call.

((((("But as a national association, we believe that mascots,
nicknames or images deemed hostile or abusive in terms of race, ethnicity or
national origin should not be visible at the championship events that we
control.")))))

In that sentence right there....It makes "Fighting Irish" just as offensive as "Braves"....I also think they should make South Carolina and Jax State stop using the term "Gamecocks"....It's arggin' animal abuse to fight chickens....and what about "Bengal Tigers"???? That's an endangered species....I'm offended that they're not more sensitive to the concenrs and feelings of animals and animal rights activists....JVWatts