Xiao Min,

> On Nov 3, 2022, at 10:52 PM, <xiao.m...@zte.com.cn> <xiao.m...@zte.com.cn>
> wrote:
>> : If the BFD packet is received with Your Discriminator equals to 0, the BFD
>> : session MUST be identified using the VNI number, and the inner
>> : Ethernet/IP/UDP Header, i.e., the source MAC, the source IP, the
>> destination
>> : MAC, the destination IP, and the source UDP port number present in the
>> inner
>> : Ethernet/IP/UDP header.
>>
>> Not being familiar with Geneve configuration at all, I'll presume that with
>> there is a motivation for using the MAC addresses within a given VNI context
>> in addition to the IP addresses.  If this is clear from typical Geneve
>> procedures, it might be worth a nod to the appropriate section.  I'll note
>> that this point of procedure doesn't seem to have a parallel in BFD for
>> vxlan.
> [XM]>>> Would you please elaborate a bit on the possible nod? As I understand
> it, the reason why there is no a parallel in RFC 8971 is that only one BFD
> session using the management VNI is needed between a pair of VTEPs, so there
> is no demultiplexing procedure needed in RFC 8971.

To restate my question, on a given device receiving, for a given VNI, will
there ever be multiple sets of the same IP addresses?

If yes, the addition of the MAC addresses for initial multiplexing makes sense.
 Otherwise, perhaps they are unneeded?

> What I'm far more puzzled by is the source port demultiplexing step.  This
> isn't normal for RFC 5881.  Why is there a desire to add this to initial
> demultiplexing?
> [XM]>>> In section 4 of RFC 5881 it says
>
> An implementation MAY use
>    the UDP port source number to aid in demultiplexing incoming BFD
>    Control packets, but ultimately the mechanisms in [BFD
> <https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5881#ref-BFD>] MUST be used
>    to demultiplex incoming packets to the proper session.
> It seems adding the UDP source port is helpful, what do you think?

It actually can make configuration more difficult.  You must then have
provisioning for the UDP ports for your sessions on each side of things.

If you don't need to explicitly control more than one session between the same
VNI, for the same IP address pairs, on the same device, you can simply
demultiplex based on the UDP destination port for BFD single hop as per RFC
5881 procedures.

If you have need for such explicit control, such additional procedure is fine.

-- Jeff