Stephane,

See responses inline with [CB].

Chris

From: stephane.litkow...@orange.com [mailto:stephane.litkow...@orange.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 8, 2017 8:25 AM
To: Chris Bowers <cbow...@juniper.net>
Cc: RTGWG <rtgwg@ietf.org>; draft-ietf-rtgwg-uloop-de...@tools.ietf.org
Subject: RE: shepherd feedback and idnits on draft-ietf-rtgwg-uloop-delay-05.txt

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the review. I'm updating the document to reflect your proposals.
Couple of comments:

-          s/"otherwise the standard IP convergence MUST be used."/ "otherwise
the standard IP convergence MUST used". It does not sound good to me but may be
because of an English grammar issue on my side. Could you confirm the change ?

[CB]  You are correct.  That proposed change is a mistake on my part.

-          Regarding your main comment on section 1 and 2.1, I do not agree
about your statement on RSVP-FRR. First there are multiple deployment styles of
RSVP FRR:

o   LDP tunneling

o   RSVP with no strict ERO

o   RSVP with CSPF at head end (strict ERO)
Your statement is true only for the third case where an RSVP tunnel between S
and D exists with its path computed by S => no uloop in that case for sure. But
as soon as you rely on distributed convergence, you will fall into a loop even
if you use RSVP-FRR. I will precise in the text that we are in an LDP scenario
for example. Here is a text proposal:
"In the Figure 2, we consider an IP/LDP routed network. An RSVP-TE tunnel T,
provisioned on C and terminating on B, is used to protect the traffic against
C-B link failure (IGP shortcut is activated on C)."
"The issue described here is completely independent of the fast-reroute
mechanism involved (TE FRR, LFA/rLFA, MRT ...) when the primary path is an hop
by hop defined path."

[CB] "when the primary path is an hop by hop defined path"  is somewhat
ambiguous.
How about "when the primary path uses hop-by-hop routing" ?

For the LFA case, yes, there are some cases where there is no loop, but it is
topology dependent. I'm not sure that we need to give such precision as if the
LFA is on the postconvergence path, this means that the postconvergence is
loopfree, so there will be no local microloop in any case.

[CB]  OK.

-          Regarding your comment on section 4.4, here is my new text proposal
to fit your comment:

"Upon an adjacency/link down event, this document introduces a change
   in step 5 (<xref target="description-current"/>) in order to delay the local
convergence compared to the
   network wide convergence. The new step 5 is described below:"
           5. Upon SPF_DELAY timer expiration, the SPF is computed. If the
condition of a single local link-down event has been met and if the new
convergence did not trigger a stop of the ULOOP_DELAY_DOWN_TIMER , then an
update of the RIB and the FIB SHOULD be delayed for ULOOP_DELAY_DOWN_TIMER
msecs. Otherwise, the RIB and FIB SHOULD be updated immediately.

If a new convergence occurs while ULOOP_DELAY_DOWN_TIMER is running,
ULOOP_DELAY_DOWN_TIMER is stopped and the RIB/FIB SHOULD be updated as part of
the new convergence event."

[CB]  This text seems clearer.

Brgds,

Stephane