One of the arguments made in these documents seems to be that by using this technology you can reduce latency by skipping the DNS step.

I do not see how that works.  Are you assuming that applications will have the anycast address for a given service hard coded?  And that all operators providing this service will use the same anycast address for the service?  That seems a big ask but unless you do that, DNS is still required.  And that is putting aside the fact that we have found that the indirection through DNS and the resultant decoupling is very helpful.

Yours,

Joel