http://www.zeenews.com/news636030.html

Justice (Retd) Hegde resigned stating
"I don't want to be useless sitting in a position. It is not enough if I catch 
people. I need powers to bring cases to logical conclusion,"

This seems to echo  what ICs ANT and SNM decided in the "split decision", do 
you want to catch people or prosecute them. RTI activists want disclosure to 
identify corrupt people, whereas the experienced babus/judges want unfettered 
powers and information denial to prosecute them / offenders thoroughly. Its a 
Catch-22 situation, allowing citizens blind access to information will also 
allow offenders to use RTI to escape prosecution.

Sarbajit

<snip>
Bangalore: Miffed over the state government's failure to empower him, Karnataka 
Lokayukta Justice N Santosh Hegde, who was probing the mining mafia of 
Bellary's powerful Reddy brothers, resigned from his post on Wednesday.

"I don't want to be useless sitting in a position. It is not enough if I catch 
people. I need powers to bring cases to logical conclusion," Hegde told a news 
conference shortly after resigning from the post he occupied four years ago.

"I have suffered mentally. There are several instances to show how the 
government has ignored or deliberately overruled or shown indifference to the 
institution," he added.

Justice Hegde met state Governor H R Bhardwaj in the evening and submitted his 
resignation to him. The resignation would be effective August 31.

"Under the Lokayukta Act, when a person is not occupying the post, that post 
becomes defunct and not vacant. Since the post of Upa Lokayukta remained vacant 
in the last six months, I will be there till August 31," Hegde said.

In a scathing attack on the government of Chief Minister B S Yeddyurappa, Hegde 
said there were instances of officials suspended over corruption charges being 
reinstated and posted in the same position.

"This is a slap on my face, on the institution," he said.

Former Supreme Court judge Hegde, like former Karnataka Lokayukta Justice M N 
Venkatachaliah, had been demanding greater authority from the state government, 
including suo moto power to probe corrupt officials.

Successive governments in Karnataka have been speaking of empowering the 
Lokayukta, but no such development has taken place in view of the unified 
opposition from state bureaucrats and politicians.

Justice Hegde was also frustrated with the state government's attitude of 
delaying "necessary action" against officials caught on corruption charges the 
Lokayukta.

Justice Hegde's team, which was probing the activities of Bellary's powerful 
Reddy brothers' mining mafia, had also prepared a report on illegal mining in 
the state. The Lokayukta however felt that the state government was not acting 
in the right direction towards the report.

Justice Hegde said he did not target any lobby but he did take action against 
illegal mining. Later, while speaking to a news channel, the former SC judge 
said illegal mining was on in Karnataka on a huge scale.

The Lokayukta said he could have continued in the post enjoying the perks like 
car with red beacon but he was only following his father's advice that "don't 
stay in a place where you are made to feel you are unwanted".

Hegde asserted that he will not change his mind even if pressure is brought on 
him. "This is not a spur of the moment decision, not an emotional one, though I 
have suffered mentally.

Hegde denied that he was resigning because of a news report telecast by a 
Kannada TV channel that it was due to a contempt notice against him.

"I have not received any contempt notice. The news telecast by the channel is 
far from truth. I can file a defamation suit against it. It is an option which 
I will decide," he said.

During his tenure, Justice Hegde carried out over 100 successful raids and 
nabbed many officers having disproportionate assets.

His office had even caught two-time BJP legislator Y Sampangi for allegedly 
taking a Rs 5 lakh bribe to settle a land dispute in January 2009.

The Lokayukta was snubbed when a seven-member special House panel let off 
Sampangi in March 2010. The panel, which included four BJP legislators, 
concluded that "in the absence of sufficient evidences to prove the guilt as 
registered by the police, it is difficult to say that the member of the House 
has misused his office or conducted himself in an improper manner". 


Reply via email to