I'm running RTLinux 3.1/2.4.18 and am having a
system configuration problem with my target
hardware.  It is a PC based system with a Celeron
processor, an AGP video card and several PCI devices.
These PCI devices include a Realtek 8139 Ethernet
card, a multi-port serial card and a digital I/O card.

   My software consists of a RT module which services
the interrupt on the digital I/O card (and also does
some polled I/O), and interfaces to a userspace
application via FIFOs.  My realtime module uses
pci_find_subsys() to find the details of my I/O
card, and then I use rtl_request_irq() to install
my interrupt service routine.

   The problem that I am experiencing, is that
the motherboard's BIOS is assigning the same
IRQ to the digital I/O board and other devices
(namely the ethernet board).  I wrote my ISR
to verify that my board generated the interrupt,
but apparently RTLinux does not permit sharing
of IRQs with non-RT tasks (ala SA_INTERRUPT
style), and my other devices sharing that
IRQ aren't working.

   I've attempted to change the IRQ via setpci
calls, but from what I read this only changes the
scratch area that the BIOS stuffs the data to,
not the actual settings.  My experience agrees
with this, since although I change the IRQ via
setpci, lspci still shows it at the old IRQ.

   My BIOS has no settings to let me reserve
resources for a specific slot, and I can't seem
to find a way to make this work.  I realize that
sharing a RT interrupt with a non-RT task would
hurt latencies, but if I could get it to work, I'd
be happy.  I've fooled with Pnp/non-PnP settings,
but there doesn't seem to be anything that I
can do to guarantee a specific interrupt for my
digital I/O card.

   I'd be even happier if somebody could tell me
how to really change the digital I/O board's
IRQ via software, if it's even possible.  It's a
custom board which uses a PLX Technology, Inc.
PCI <-> IOBus Bridge (rev 01) chip.

   Any ideas?

   Regards,

 Jim Evans  R&D Software Engineer