Am 05.01.2011 23:24, schrieb Andreas Kasper:
> Hello,
>
> I already compiled a new kernel (version 2.6.31.8) with the rtai 3.8
> patch. loading the module rtcfg ends up again in a kernel panic.
>
> maybe i don't need this module because i only need realtime acces to
> my nic (rtl 8139) without any mac discipline.
>
> Is there a tutorial which describes how to use configure only the
> realtime nic driver?

That was one of my questions on the mailing list some months ago:
I wrote:
-----------------
> > I am just not sure how to use RTnet with non-RTnet/tdma remote machines.

Answer:
See the documentation, there is an explicit section about basic,
RTmac-less setup.
---------------------

See the readme-file in the root of the rtnet-source, not in the doc
directory.

I created a small bash script to automate the setup:
#!/bin/bash
/bin/mknod /dev/rtnet c 10 240

/sbin/rmmod 8139too

/sbin/insmod /usr/local/rtnet/modules/rtnet.ko
/sbin/insmod /usr/local/rtnet/modules/rtipv4.ko
/sbin/insmod /usr/local/rtnet/modules/rtpacket.ko
/sbin/insmod /usr/local/rtnet/modules/rt_loopback.ko
/sbin/insmod /usr/local/rtnet/modules/rt_8139too.ko cards=1,0,0,0
/sbin/insmod /usr/local/rtnet/modules/rtudp.ko

/sbin/insmod /usr/local/rtnet/modules/rtcap.ko

# setup nic
/usr/local/rtnet/sbin/rtifconfig rteth0 up 192.168.0.2 promisc
/usr/local/rtnet/sbin/rtifconfig rtlo up 127.0.0.1
#/usr/local/rtnet/sbin/rtroute solicit 192.168.0.1 dev rteth0
/usr/local/rtnet/sbin/rtroute add 192.168.0.1 <insert mac address of
remote> dev rteth0

/sbin/ifconfig rteth0 up

# use normal module for 2nd nic
/sbin/modprobe 8139too

Vinzenz

> Thank You
> Andreas Kasper
>
> Zitat Jan Kiszka <jan.kis...@web.de>:
>

>> Am 28.12.2010 16:24, Andreas Kasper wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> every time when I use the command
>>>
>>> ./rtnet start
>>>
>>> a kernel panic occurs. The first time I installed rtnet I was able so
>>> start the simpleclient & simpleserver example programs, but a week
>>> later, booting the computer again and trying to start rtnet ends with
>>> the panic. I hope somone can help me, details can be found belwo.
>>>
>>> I'm new to that mailing list and I need a working rtnet configuration
>>> for my thesis. Thanks in advance
>>> Andreas Kasper
>>>
>>> My configuration:
>>> Kernel 2.6.24
>>>
>> This is a very old kernel. You should try to reproduce with a recent one.
>>

>>> RTAI 3.8
>>> rtnet 0.9.12
>>> NIC: Realtek 8139
>>>
>>> Befor I start rtnet I'm:
>>> X) unloading the following kernel module
>>> 8139too
>>>
>>> X) loading the following kernel modules
>>> trai_hal, rtai_sched, rtai_sem, rtai_rtdm
>>>
>>> I can also run the RTAI test programs without any errors!
>>>
>>> Kernel Panic output:
>>> I only see the last lines of the kernel panic output, but here they
>>> are (in short form):
>>>
>>> Call Trace:
>>> _rtai_apic_timer_handler+0xab/0x240 [rtai_hal]
>>> detault_idle+0x2f/0x40
>>> detault_idle+0x0/0x40
>>> rtai_apic_timer_handler+0x23/0x40 [rtai_hal]
>>> detault_idle+0x0/0x40
>>> detault_idle+0x2f/0x40
>>> cpu_idle+0x4b/0xd0
>>> start_kernel+0x325/0x3c0