On 09/11/2012 10:59 AM, Michael Morscher wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm curently preparing to write my final seminar paper in university with the
> subject of real time ethernet video broadcasting.
> I've already played around with two virtual machines and RTNet, but as the
> seminar paper has a focus on automotive design, the goal is to use embedded
> hardware like ARM oder PowerPC. After checking the git repository for drivers
> and comparing them with available Evaluation Kits I found out, that nearly
> any of them is support - and most of the boards (of course) have no expansion
> headers like PCI or PCI-Express, where I can plug in an e1000 compatible NIC.

That's mostely true for ARM-Eval-Board but a lot of the MPC-Eval-Ports
from Freescale do have PCI or even PCIe slots.

> Has anyone an embedded platform with enough speed up and running with RTNet?
>
> Some guy before me used an PowerPC M8313E (where I have two samples of) for
> that and added an PCI e1000 card. He was stuck at 150Mbit/s while streaming
> video, so the idea was to get some more power for higher bandwidth or
> possible video compression.

The MPC8313E does have very powerful ethernet controllers on chip, which
are for networking products. Also a E1000-NIC should work at full speed.
Therefore I assume that the 150 MBit/s are due to software. What has
been used? RTnet UDP, TDMA, ...?

> A platform I really like to use is the FreeScale i.MX53 or i.MX6 as they are
> already completly automotive tested and compliant - but either the boards
> don't use the FreeScale FEC or they have just 10/100M, not Gigabit.

The i.MX6 has a GETH controller on chip but not really a good one.

Wolfgang.