murphee,
 I hadn't actually run into any OutOfMemory exceptions myself, but I had
been looking at/concerned about the indexer. I was seeing huge, huge amounts
of RAM consumed (I set eclipse to use up to 512M of RAM) using a profiler.
There were some bugs I thought I fixed fairly recently, but I was also
mistaken a bit by the behavior.
RDT has the same behavior as JDT: when you traverse the RubyModel (which is
what I do in the indexer), it stores RubyElements in the RubyModelCache. It
sets up the cache to overflow. It should check how much RAM is available at
startup, set hard limits on the cache and then grow until it hits those
limits. At that point it should start overflowing and cleaning up pointers
to free memory.

But, you might be facing a different memory situation which is that I
generate index keys for every unique IPath I hit. I generate a
SearchDocument and throw them in a HashMap keyed by the IPath. The
SearchDocument basically just holds a List of Strings each of whcih
represents an index key for a ruby element. Apparently there are enough
documents and keys generated to cause you troubles. To fix this, I'd need to
add more smarts to the indexer to write out indexes to files and clean up
the in-memory copies, etc.

How old is the snapshot you're using? Do the absolute latest builds fix it?
What is your RAM limit set to for Eclipse?

Thanks,
Chris