On Jun 11, 2014, at 12:32 PM, Joe Fiorini <j...@joefiorini.com> wrote:

> I actually played with simplifying the structure some time ago, although for
> a completely different use case. I didn't end up going further than posting
> this PoC on Github, but it does actually boot up a Rails app.
>
> My changes:
>
> I moved all application/environment config into a file called
> "{APP_NAME}.rb". Inside this file I have a module/class definition for the
> application the same as any standard Rails app (looks like I accidentally
> made it a class rather than Application class inside APP_NAME module, oops),
> but I also added a Ruby DSL for specifying environment configs. IME, the
> files under config/environments don't normally get a ton of options, so
> having them all in one place would actually be easier.

Would this mean smashing all the files in config/initializers into one file?
That would make generators that wanted to create a default initializer (for
instance, the Devise InstallGenerator) much more complicated since they’d need
to insert code into the singular environment.rb file rather than just drop a
whole file into config/initializers.

I also haven’t seen much discussion of the “set up the paths but don’t load the
whole env” reasoning for boot.rb being separate from environment.rb (mentioned
down-thread by Ryan Bigg). Is this still something useful? If it isn’t, how
will (for instance) Rake tasks that don’t depend on :environment be switched
over?

—Matt JOnes