assign_attributes went away in the move from 2.3 -> 3.0, then re-appeared for
3.1.0. In 3.0.5, the closest equivalent is plain `attributes=`.

Regarding security updates, the best versions to use security-wise are always
(in descending order of preference):

* GREAT: the current release version (4.1.5 now, with 4.2 in beta)

* OKAY: the most-recent release of the previous version (4.0.9)

* KINDA NOT ENTIRELY BAD: the most-recent release of the any versions before
*that* (3.2.19, 3.1.12, 3.0.20)

Older versions *only* get security updates, so the final releases in a
particular line are almost always solving important security issues.

—Matt Jones