Thank you for your feedback!

I think you might misunderstand what I'm proposing, sorry for that.
You still can unscope as you did before, but if you want to specify table
you want to affect, you can do it.
In your example, the current implementation also doesn't work:

Article.where("deleted_at IS NULL").unscope(where: :deleted_at) # == SELECT
* FROM "articles" WHERE (deleted_at is NULL)

I don't see a way to fix this existing problem.
But if you don't use custom SQL in your queries you can use both old and
new approaches:

Article.where(deleted_at: nil).unscope(where: :deleted_at) # == SELECT *
FROM "articles"
Article.where(deleted_at: nil).unscope(where: { articles: :deleted_at }) #
== SELECT * FROM "articles"