I think the best is to use Ubuntu, because there is the most material
available for this distribution. There's a lot of tutorials and how-tos
specifically for Ubuntu. It sure makes things easier. If you want
"enterprise linux", you can go with CentOS. Bu I prefer Debian flavors
of linux alltogether.

Regarding webservers.. you'll need Apache or (even better) nginx as a
web server for serving static content. Behind that you'll have web
server - of course you'll choose Mongrel (maybe w/ mongrel cluster).

For deployment you have to find out about Capistrano and also Deprec
gem. Deprec gem helps you set-up your environment. The problem now is
that Capistrano just came out in version 2.0, but deprec is still not
ready for that version. But I think that it's better to set up
everything yourself at the beginning. At least I like to do it that way.
Once I really know how it's done, I'll start using automation for that
as well.

that's it... I'm also not very long in all of this, but I got a feeling
about what are the best tools for the job... I hope others will agree..

bye
david