On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 8:36 AM, Jeff Pritchard
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> What is the easiest way to duplicate the production database on the new
> server?  How careful do I need to be about major/minor version numbers
> on the mysql server software on both ends?

It could be significant (4.x -> 5.x, for instance). You would probably
be well-advised to get the version numbers, read the change notes,
*and* ask on a MySQL-specific mailing list.

Regardless, I would *never* move binary files between systems; the
mysqldump program works just fine, and insulates you from platform
differences. And gives you a backup file at the same time, just in case.

The biggest gotcha I've personally run into moving from one instance
to another is encoding. Run

mysql> show variables like '%char%';
mysql> show variables like '%collation%';

on each instance and set appropriately. You probably also want to
compare the defaults for `old_passwords` and `storage_engine`, at
least. Compare the config file(s) as well.

HTH, and good luck,
--
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ [EMAIL PROTECTED]